A rare French violin bow made, in our opinion, by Pierre Simon circa 1835. The ironwood stick is unbranded and mounted with ebony and nickel fittings. All parts are original and in excellent condition.
Among the most important French bow makers of the 19th century, Pierre Simon was born in Mirecourt in 1808 and died in Paris in 1881. After apprenticing in Mirecourt, he moved to Paris in 1838 to study with Dominique Peccatte. In 1840, Simon joined the workshop of Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume, where he absorbed a wide variety of styles and models, including self-rehairing bows and picture bows. Simon established his own business around 1844, then took over the Peccatte workshop in 1848 and briefly partnered with another Peccatte disciple, Joseph Henry. Working independently after 1851, Simon continued to make violin bows for Vuillaume, as well as numerous other French ateliers, including Gand frères, Gand & Bernardel, George Chanot, and Bernardel et Fils. Extremely versatile in his making style, Simon built successful bows in various patterns and weights, which are very highly sought after.
Sold with a certificate of authenticity from Paul Childs
Pierre Simon | circa 1835 | Round ironwood stick | Nickel and ebony frog and button | 4/4
Chinese bow maker JianFeng Li studied with celebrated American bow maker John Norwood Lee. He currently works from his studio in the port city of Ningbo in northeast China, and is a member of both the Violin Society of America and the Violin Society of China.
Li's bows (stamped Lee) have won numerous prizes in international bow making competitions, including Silver Medals for his violin and viola bows entered into the China International Violin Making and Bow Making Competition held in Beijing in 2013. Based on 19th century French models, Li's bows are praised for their elegance and tone production, and are owned by professional players across the globe.
JianFeng Li | Round | Gold and ebony frog and button.
One of the most prolific bow workshops in France, as well as one of the leading exporters to the American market in the first decades of the 20th century, Morizot Fréres was begun by the patriarch of the Morizot family of bow makers, Louis Joseph Morizot (1874 - 1957), known as "Morizot Père." Born in Mirecourt, Louis apprenticed in the workshops of Eugène Cuniot-Hury and Charles Nicolas Bazin, then began working for Eugène Sartory in 1914.
In 1920, Louis opened his own shop, where he built bows for numerous violin makers, including Charles Bailly and Jean Baptiste Collin-Mézin, and where he trained five of his six sons, Louis Gabriel, Marcel Louis, André Auguste, Paul Georges, and Paul Charles Morizot. At Morizot et fils, each of the sons specialized in different bow models and aspects of the bow building process, resulting in the highly efficient and prolific output of bows supplied to numerous violin shops, including those of Joseph Aubry, Paul Buescher, Georges Cone, Albert Deblaye, Roger & Max Millant, and Daniel Moinel.
Morizot brothers | Octagonal | Silver and ebony frog and button | 4/4