Gustave Bernardel cello, Paris 1900
Catalog ID: C-2752
Gustave Adolphe Bernardel (1832-1904) was the younger son of Auguste Sebastien Philippe Bernardelpère. He joined his father in about 1849 and succeeded to the business with his brother Ernest Auguste Bernardel and Eugène Gand in 1866. When Ernest retired the shop became Gand et Bernardel, with Gand leaving in 1892 and Gustave himself retiring in 1901. The business then passed to Caressa and Français. The shop was one of the most illustrious in Parisian violin making and continued as Caressa & Français and latterly Français in the late 20th century. A center of expertise and restorations, new work gradually diminished in importance to the business, but standards never slipped below first class in the production of all instruments.
Length of back: 764 mm 4/4
Call For Price
Request More Information