Italian violin maker Luigi Fabris was born in 1809 into a family of prominent musicians in Venice. He likely studied with Antonio Indri or Pietro Valentino Novello, two of the most important Venetian makers working at the beginning of the 19th century. Fabris established his own business around 1830, and later worked for the music business of impresario, instrument builder and collector Giuseppe (Johann) Camploy (1794-1890), where he marketed a popular violin varnish. Fabris built his most highly regarded instruments after 1860, when he was working independently again. He was awarded a silver medal at the Treviso Exposition of 1872, and worked continuously until his death in Venice in 1889.