Charles Jean-Baptiste Collin-MÃ©zin (Collin dit MÃ©zin, MÃ©zin pÃ¨re) was born in 1841 into the Collin dynasty of luthiers active in Mirecourt, France since the middle of the 18th century. His surname hyphenated with his mother's family name distinguishes him from his ancestors, including his father Claude Nicolas Collin (c. 1800–1864), who worked with Nicolas FranÃ§ois Vuillaume in Brussels, Belgium. After apprenticing at the N. F. Vuillaume workshop with his father, Collin-MÃ©zin left Brussels and worked in Paris and Mirecourt before establishing his own workshop in Paris in 1867. Collin-MÃ©zin won multiple awards for his instruments at the 1878, 1889, and 1900 Worldâs Fair Exhibitions in Paris, and in 1884, he was elected to the AcadÃ©mie des Beaux-Arts. Becoming highly renowned, his workshop was patronized by the most important musicians of his time, including violinist Joseph Joachim and cellists Auguste-Joseph Franchomme and LÃ©on Jacquard, all of whom owned instruments made by Collin-MÃ©zin. Bows sold at the Collin-MÃ©zin workshop were made by some of the world's top bow makers, including Charles Nicolas and Charles Louis Bazin, EugÃ¨ne Cuniot-Hury, Emile FranÃ§ois Ouchard, Victor FÃ©tique, and Morizot pÃ¨re and fils. Upon his death in 1923, Collin-Mezin's son Charles Collin-Mezin, Jr. (Collin-MÃ©zin II, Collin-MÃ©zin fils 1870–1934) took over the workshop and moved it to Mirecourt in 1925. In 1934, the business was passed to Charles Jean-Baptiste Collin-Mezin III (b. 1910).